Sick Certificates


If you are off work for less than one week, you employer may ask you to complete an SC2 “Employee’s statement of sickness” self-certification form.  This form is available from reception.  Alternatively you can download an SC2 form to complete.

Fit Note

For sickness of more than one week, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness in the form of a “Statement of Fitness for Work” – known as a fit note.

Fit notes must be issued and signed by a doctor.  If you need a fit note you should make an appointment to see your GP.  There is no charge for providing a fit note for sickness of more than one week.

Some employees may request a fit note for sickness of less than one week.  For these certificates we may charge a fee.

For more information, visit When do I need a fit note? on NHS Choices.